Ozone Steam Sauna
Incredible healing power
I have known for a long time that incredible healing power was available from taking regular ozone saunas. I had never tried one until a few years ago and it was not until we built our own at the Anahata that I realised just how amazing it was.
Any opportunity I get to take even a ten minute ozone sauna I leap at. I have found it helps me recover quicker from exercise and sleep better and for me, at least, it offers a feeling of deep euphoria. If I don’t have one for a few weeks I notice aches and pains returning which I had forgotten about.
It is a key element for people with major life threatening diseases (don’t take my word for this, have a search online) but for the rest of us it just feels great – you should try a short course of treatment and see how you feel. I was amazed to learn that even depression is benefited by heat therapy, but I believe it is the ozone sauna’s capacity to reduce inflammation in the body which makes the big difference.
Ozone has huge anti-pathogenic properties and was the preferred method of treatment for wounds in the First World War. We have gone out of our way to make this treatment affordable and it is well worth trying it out for all these chronic problems, possibly caused by stray toxins which none of us can avoid in this modern world. – Philip Tucker, co-founder
How does it work?
Ozone therapy consists of introducing ozone gas into the body. Ozone (O3) is an energised form of oxygen with extra electrons. The medicinal aspects of ozone gas when applied through the skin have been largely overlooked, as scientists have focused on the negative effects of inhaled ozone.
The Ozone Steam Sauna is a safe and effective way to absorb ozone through your pores. Once in the body, the ozone breaks down into various oxygen subspecies which contact viruses and microbes as well as diseased or deficient tissue cells. It oxidises these cells while leaving the healthy cells alone. Ozone therapies increase tissue oxygenation, thus bringing about health improvement.
Ozone can also be applied externally in the form of ozonated olive oil.
Typical treatments last up to a maximum of 30 minutes at an adaptable temperature.
Our Ozone Steam Sauna also includes a chlorine-free shower to wash away your toxicity.
Ozone Steam Sauna sessions only for BeWell members
Important note for legal purposes: Although we will be glad to assess and supervise sessions aimed at improving your wellbeing, we do not 'treat', or aim to 'cure' disease. We reserve the right to refuse access to the sauna if we do not judge it likely to be beneficial or suitable for you. It is important that you check any protocol with your authorised medical advisor.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ozone Steam Therapy?
Ozone is oxygen with 3 atoms (O3), rather than the usual 2 atoms (O2). Ozone is a form of energized oxygen. It is formed by passing oxygen through an electric field inside an ozone tube. Although we think of ozone usually in terms of the disappearing 'ozone layer' around our planet (in the outer atmosphere ozone is created by the action of ultraviolet rays on atmospheric oxygen 20 - 30 kms from the earth's surface), ozone is naturally occurring around us both after rainfall (generated by the action of lightning on atmospheric oxygen near earth: this is the fresh air that we smell following rain) and by the seaside (generated by the action of waves on oxygen at the seashore, giving the characteristic smell of ozone). Both these environments are places where we can naturally boost our oxygen supplies.
Oxygen carries and ultimately stores the sun's energy so that all life can feed on it. Oxygen is the most abundant element of the earth's crust. It easily dissolves in water and is a major part of the elements in the oceans, rocks, and all living things. Oxygen makes up 65% of the elements of our body tissues such as blood, organs, tissues, and skin. All organisms (microbes, animals, and plants) have spent countless centuries swimming and evolving in or are contained in a sea of water and oxygen. Oxygen is absolutely essential for the health of cells, and for respiration, digestion, circulation, hormone production, ATP production (the way our body makes energy), immune system function, reproduction and elimination. The brain, comprising 2% of human body mass, requires 20% of the body's oxygen needs.
Almost every virus, fungus, parasite, and many bacteria such as Lactobacilli, Campylobacter, Clostridium, and Bacteroides do not thrive in oxygenated environments. Oxygen is THE life-giving, life-sustaining element. We cannot survive more than few minutes without oxygen. Our health is wholly dependent on proper oxygenation of our cells.
So how can we oxygenate our blood and cells, in the most effective way: ozone is the answer! Ozone is oxygen with a third atom: this third atom of oxygen seeks to balance itself electrically with other material with a corresponding unbalanced charge. Diseased cells, viruses, harmful bacteria and other pathogens carry such a charge and so attract ozone and its by-products. When ozone is introduced into the blood, it reacts with these oxidisable substrates killing viruses, bacteria and fungi. In addition, the metabolic waste products of these organisms are oxidized and an oxygen rich environment is provided in which healthy cells can thrive. Normal healthy cells cannot react with ozone or its by-products as they possess a balanced electrical charge and strong enzyme system.
What can Ozone Steam Therapy do?
Ozone is a safe, effective and low-cost treatment for a wide spectrum of diseases. Ozone is an oxygen compound, is non-toxic and life giving: it only targets diseased cells and pathogens.
Read this article to find out more about non-toxicity and ozone's many uses.
- Ozone is a powerfully purifying and oxygenating therapy
- Inactivates viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites and protozoa
- Stimulates immune system, speeds healing
- Cleans arteries and veins, improving circulation
- Oxidizes toxins, facilitating their excretion
- Normalizes hormone and enzyme production
- Reduces inflammation and pain
- Scavenges free radicals
- Stimulates production of protective enzymes
What is the safest way to get ozone into the body?
The Ozone steam sauna (transdermal ozone) is one of the most powerful methods of detoxifying and oxygenating the body in existence. In each treatment you will sit comfortably in our steam sauna with your head out of the top of the steam cabinet. Your face remains cool and there is no risk of inhaling excess amounts of ozone. Adjustable volumes of steam and an ozone/oxygen mixture are circulated inside the sauna cabinet.
The overheating action of the sauna stimulates and speeds up the metabolic processes and inhibits the growth of virus and bacteria. All the vital organs and glands are stimulated to increase their activity. The body's healing forces are aided and assisted, and healing is accelerated. The sauna increases the eliminative, detoxifying and cleansing capacity of the skin by stimulating your sweat glands and increasing blood circulation, giving healthy skin tone and texture. Humid heat opens the pores, allowing the ozone through the skin into your bloodstream, where it can travel to the fat and lymph tissue. The combined action of moist heat and ozone cleanse the lymphatic system, which carries 90% of the body's fluids. Ozone brings oxygen to the tissues for enhanced health and vitality.
Each 30 minute session burns 400-600 calories by increasing body temperature through the sauna, which increases basal metabolic rate. Saturating cells with ozone also adds to the increase in metabolism. This catalyst to the body's metabolic process is responsible for fat burning and the efficient use of nutrients. An additional benefit is that when toxins are removed from fat, the body's fat cells shrink and substantial weight loss can be realized.
Read this article on the Ozone Sauna Cabin.
Is an ozone steam sauna safe?
Although ozone is highly toxic in its purified state, it has been found to be both safe and effective when diluted to therapeutic levels for medical use. When administered in prescribed amounts the chances of experiencing adverse reactions to ozone therapies are extremely small.
It has been estimated that over ten million people (primarily in Germany, Russia and Cuba) have been given ozone therapies over the past seventy years to treat over fifty different diseases (including heart and blood vessel diseases, diseases of the lungs, infectious diseases, and immune-related disorders). In some cases, ozone therapies are administered alone, while in others, they are used in addition to traditional medical procedures (such as surgery or chemotherapy) or as adjuncts to alternative health practices like megavitamin therapy, acupuncture or herbal medicine.
If ozone were not safe, we would not be able to go outside and breathe the air, especially during sunshine, a thunderstorm, lightning, or after the rain.
Here's what some doctors say about ozone:
"Recent authoritative investigations have established, that pure Ozone is Nontoxic even in concentrations as great as 20 or 50 parts per millilitres of air." — Clark Thorp, Ph.D., MD
"Pure Ozone is not poisonous in any sense of the word as is breaks down in contact with the mucous membrane, and only Oxygen remains." — A. Hill, MD
"Ozone is absolutely harmless when used correctly. We have demonstrated this over a period of many years in patients of all ages." — F. B. Carpenter, MD
What are the benefits of Ozone Therapy?
The steam sauna provides a dual treatment: ozone therapy and hyperthermia. The person sits in a steam cabinet, with the head out. The warm steam surrounds the body opening the pores. The ozone is easily able to enter into the body through the skin, penetrating into the blood, the fat and lymph. As the body sweats most of the toxins are brought to the surface and expelled through the pores. Ozone taken on regular basis will, over time, safely clean all fluid of the body providing high level of immunity from most common diseases.
Wound healing - Inactivates viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites. Stimulates immune system, speeds healing by helping to clean arteries and veins, reduces inflammation, increases blood circulation.
Connective tissue - Reduces swelling and inflammation in injuries, strengthens joints and muscles, breaks down lactic acid, protects skin against sun.
Body oxygenation - For general improvement in energy, mood, concentration.
Sleep problems - Naturally calms the central nervous system. Reduces stress, relaxes the muscles and the mind. Improves quality of life.
Detoxification cleansing - Helps remove toxicity to prevent the onset of further disease.
Weight loss - Steam therapy promotes weight loss with the removal of toxins which are stored in the body's fat reserves.
Anti ageing - Increases blood flow throughout the body, enhancing oxygen delivery at a cellular level. Helps protect the skin from the sun, improves liver function, reduces reactions to allergens.
Complexion issues - Improves cell oxygenation and digestive function, while eliminating toxins, so helps skin conditions, enhances skin tone, reduces stretch marks.
What conditions respond well to ozone?
Diabetes type I and II
Liver (enlarged liver)
Muscular pain and injury
Urinary tract infections
What are the contraindications of ozone?
- Ozone should never be used in Thyrotoxicosis and Favism (or G6PD deficiency) -
[Favism is a hereditary abnormality, affecting males more than women affecting red blood cells. If this particular enzyme is deficient (only after eating fava beans (broad beans, vicia fava) or certain other beans and various drugs) it may provoke the sudden destruction of red blood cells and lead to hemolytic anemia with jaundice. You can determine whether you are G-6-PD deficient by a simple blood test.]
- Ozone should never be given by inhalation or direct intravenous route.
- People who have had a previous stroke should consult with their doctors first. It is not the oxygen/ozone that will cause any harm but rather the increased heart rate.
- Persons with heart conditions should be limited to 15 minutes at a lower temperature for the first few sessions, increasing to 20, 25 and then 30 minutes, as the body adjusts to the thermal stress over time.
- Unlike other methods of ozone application, employing ozone in a steam sauna may induce a 'healing crisis', which feels like having the flu for a few days. People should be informed of this effect so they can be prepared, and welcome it as a sign of beneficial healing. Skin rashes are common as the toxins are pushed out through the skin rapidly. Often the rash is very itchy. The more frequent the treatments, the more rapid the healing, and the more severe the healing reactions will be. It may become so uncomfortable that the person will need to reduce the frequency of treatments from once daily to once weekly.
Can I have an Ozone Sauna if I am still breast feeding?
There is no known reason why you should not have an Ozone Sauna.
How long and frequent should the sauna sessions be?
Sauna sessions should be around 30 minutes duration if possible. For serious diseases, sessions should be five days per week, with weekends off. For less serious, sessions may be reduced to two/three times per week. It is recommended to do a series of sessions for full benefit.
What is the scientific basis for ozone therapies?
Ozone is the easiest and most effective way to get oxygen into your body. We need oxygen not only to breathe, but also to burn up toxins, by the process of oxidation, a process wherein a substance is changed chemically because of the effect of oxygen on it. Oxidation breaks the toxins down into carbon dioxide and water, and eliminates them from the body. In minor cases of lack of oxygen, a toxic build-up can lead to fatigue, while a wide range of diseases can result when poor oxygenation is chronic.
What's the history of medical ozone?
Although few of us have ever heard of them, ozone therapies have been around for a long time. Professor C.K. Schonbein discovered ozone in 1840 at the University of Basel.
- This was an important step forward in the use of ozone gas because it recognized the fact that because the gas is unstable, unstorable, and highly reactive, ozone needs to be generated immediately before its use.
- In 1856 ozone was first used in a health care setting to disinfect operating rooms and sterilize surgical instruments.
- The German scientist C. Lender published an article in 1870 under the title 'Ozone to purify the blood'.
- In 1879 the chemist Werner von Siemens invented and patented the ozone 'super induction tube', a means of generating ozone.
- John H. Kellogg documented the first therapeutic use of an ozone sauna in 1880.
- Charles J. Kenworth, M.D., detailed the therapeutic use of ozone in 1885 with Ozone, a book published by the Florida Medical Association.
- The Austrian surgeon, Dr. Edwin Payr (born 1871) became acquainted with ozone when it was used on him by his dentist, E.A. Fisch. Dr. Fisch applied for a patent on an ozone generator called 'Cytozon', now used in medical ozone generators today. Dr. Payr became so enthusiastic about medical ozone that he ultimately published a 290 page book entitled, 'On Treatment with Ozone in Surgery', which he presented to the German Surgical Society in Berlin.
- Ozone was used to disinfect water, making it safe for drinking: the first water treatment plan with ozone was in Holland in 1893. Now there are more than 3200 water treatment plans with ozone in the world.
- The successful use of ozonated water to treat anemia, cancer, diabetes, influenza, morphine poisoning, canker sores, strychnine poisoning and whooping cough were recorded in 1902 by J.H. Clarke's A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica.
- The first ozone generator devised for medical use was made by a physicist named Joachim Hansler (1908-1981). His company's device greatly enhanced the spread of the use of ozone in medicine.
- Ozone was used during the First World War (1914-1918) to treat wounds, foot gangrene and against the effect of poisonous chlorine gas. It was found that infected wounds washed with rain water (containing ozone) healed faster than wounds washed with river water.
- Dr. T.H. Oliver wrote about ozone therapies in the British medical publication The Lancet in 1920.
- Ozone was the focus of considerable research in Germany during the 1930s where it was successfully used to treat patients suffering from inflammatory bowel disorders, ulcerative colitis and chronic bacterial diarrhoea.
- In 1931 the Nobel prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg demonstrated that the key condition for cancer is lack of oxygen at the cellular level; ozone was important both preventatively and as a treatment. Click here to see more.
- Dr. P. Aubourg, a French physician was the first to publish a paper in 1936 on infusion of ozone rectally in the treatment of chronic colitis and fistulae.
- In the 1940s autohemotherapy (the administration of a small quantity of the patient's ozonated blood) began.
- In Nov 2002, a group of researchers from Scripps Institute in San Diego, California published in 'Science' an article demonstrating that antibodies kill by producing ozone. Click here to read the article.
- Today the use of ozone in medicine and most of the research in medical ozone takes place in Cuba and Russia. Ozone therapy is in the medical mainstream in Russia, and especially in Cuba.
Why is there so much prejudice against these therapies by the medical establishment?
A major reason for this lack of interest in ozone therapies is that ozone is a non-patentable substance that is very inexpensive to manufacture and use. In Germany, Russia and Cuba, physicians have successfully treated many serious and chronic conditions without expensive surgery. For these reasons, ozone poses a threat to the continued dominance of the medical establishment: the pharmaceutical industry, medical centres and physicians who are accustomed to providing expensive drugs, complex medical procedures and long hospital stays.
What is the future of medical ozone?
After reviewing the laboratory and clinical evidence regarding the use of ozone, a recent report by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) on Alternative Medical Systems and Practices in the United States has recommended that 'definitive studies be undertaken to determine whether these treatments have any utility'. Medical ozone and bio-oxidative therapies form the 'cutting edge' of a new healing paradigm, involving safe, effective, natural and less costly forms of medical therapy. As more people discover the value of these therapies, there will be greater consumer demand. Because bio-oxidative therapies like ozone hold great promise in treating both minor health problems and some of the most devastating diseases confronting humanity today at low cost, they can help solve our national health care crisis. As more physicians become acquainted with the value of these therapies, they will become a valuable part of mainstream medical practice.
False info on ozone
Recently the FDA, and other such organizations have been trying to destroy the beneficial and life sustaining qualities of ozone by telling the public that ozone is toxic and harms the body. For example, ozone has been blamed for smog. Carbon monoxide, a deadly poison, is present in smog at about 3000 parts per hundred million. Toxic hydrocarbons are present in smog at about 100 parts per hundred million. Ozone is present in smog only briefly at around 25 parts per hundred million. Ozone has a half life of about 20 minutes. Ozone in smog is produced by the effect of the sun's energetic photons acting on polluting gases. Single molecules of oxygen are broken off these gases momentarily, but in seconds it reattaches itself to the other gases, which is part of nature's system for cleaning the atmosphere. The problem is not one of too much ozone in smog, but not enough ozone in the smog . If sufficient amounts existed, the pollutants would all be oxidized and rendered harmless. Carbon monoxide is a proven killer... Ozone is a proven health enhancer...
"I often use the Ozone Therapy at Anahata. Whenever I feel sluggish, brain fog, fatigue or under the weather I book a 15 minute session. The results have surprised me. After a treatment, I feel light, energised and bouncy."
Chris on the benefits to his health from our ozone sauna